Resumes accepted for temporary Ward 5 appointment

November 14, 2017

If you’ve ever thought about running for public office — and you happen to be a Ward 5 resident — now might be the time. The Bartlesville City Council will appoint a Ward 5 resident to fill the unexpired term of Dr. Joseph Callahan, who announced recently that he will vacate the seat due to relocation.

Appointment to the seat is temporary, as seats for all sitting City Council members are subject to re-election in November 2018. The council will appoint someone to fulfill the unexpired Ward 5 term until the election.

To be eligible for the appointment, applicants must meet the following requirements:

  • Must be a resident of Ward 5 for at least six months prior to the appointment
  • May have no felony convictions
  • Must be at least 25 years of age
  • May hold no other position in the city government by appointment of the city manager or public office which would constitute a conflict of interest

“We encourage anyone who is interested in being appointed to this seat to send their resumes to City Hall as soon as possible so we can begin the interview process,” said Administrative Services Director/CFO Mike Bailey. “Anyone who thinks they might be interested but would like more information is welcome to call the city manager’s office at 918-338-4282. We will be happy to answer any questions they have.”

Ward 5 boundaries include northern Bartlesville east of Washington Boulevard and north of Ohio Street, and east of Madison Boulevard from Nowata Road to the northern and eastern city limits. For more information, see City Ward Maps and Ward 5 Map.

Anyone interested in being appointed to represent Ward 5 for the remainder of the current term should submit a resume to the city manager’s office, located on the second floor of City Hall, 401 S. Johnstone Ave. Resumes may also be emailed to

City Council members work on a “volunteer” basis, receiving only a modest monthly stipend ($10 per meeting, up to $40 per month) in attendance fees.

Resumes/letters will be accepted through Dec. 15. The council is expected to vote to appoint a temporary representative during its regularly scheduled meeting in February.