The City Council on Monday voted to approve contracts with GFAC Engineering to provide geotechnical engineering services for the Tower Center at Unity Square project, as well as with Jonesplan LLC to provide construction management for the project.
The $1.7 million downtown community green space project was approved by voters in the 2018 General Obligation Bond Election. The space will be located between the Price Tower and the Community Center, and will be maintained and operated by both organizations. Silas Street in that area will be closed.
Last November, the City Council approved a concept design for the project, provided pro bono by Ambler Architects. The design includes the following features:
- A large multi-functional open lawn area on the west end of the space surrounded by trees and natural landscaped areas which is perfect for picnics, Frisbee, reading, relaxing, and other such activities
- A performance stage in the center of the space with restrooms and storage and an immediate lawn area that can comfortably accommodate over 400 people
- A centralized location for food truck service
- A centralized location for future interactive water fountains/public art feature within clear view of the performance stage and lawn area
- A more formal lawn area on the east end of the space adjacent to the Bartlesville Community Center which retains and repairs the existing fountain
- Natural rock, boulders, and native grasses will be located throughout the space providing opportunities to relax, play and interact
GFAC Engineering will provide a geotechnical analysis of the soils in the proposed stage area for a footing/foundation design for the proposed structures, which consist of awning, bathroom and storage room. The company will provide necessary sampling, soil analysis and foundation recommendations later this month. The cost for the services is $3,900.
In a separate agenda item, the council also approved a contract with Jonesplan LLC for construction management for the project. The contract will be issued in two phases: pre-construction and construction. Costs for the construction phase will be negotiated once the construction documents are complete. The cost for the pre-construction services is $17,120 and will be complete by April.