The YMCA, which manages and operates the City of Bartlesville-owned Sooner and Frontier pools, announced last week that lifeguards are needed to open Sooner Pool for the 2020 season. (Frontier Pool opened June 6.)
In an effort to expedite the training and hiring process, the Y is offering a “Fast Track Lifeguard Certification course, which will be held 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. June 22-24 at the YMCA, 101 N. Osage Ave. in Bartlesville. Candidates must complete the training to serve as a lifeguard for Sooner Pool for the summer season.
To participate in the course, applicants must:
- Have a minimum ability to work noon to 6 p.m. seven days a week
- Be at least 15 years of age to apply
- Return for a Prerequisite Swim Test 5-8:30 p.m. on Wednesday, June 17
- Complete the application, provide schedule availability, pay in full and be able to pass the prerequisite skills evaluation by end of day Wednesday, June 17
The prerequisite skills evaluation includes the following:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. You may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for two minutes using only the legs. You should place your hands under your armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Your face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on your back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object while keeping your face at or near the surface so you are able to get a breath. You should not swim the distance underwater. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
The cost for the Fast Track Lifeguard Certification Course is $150 for YMCA members and $200 for non-members. If the 10-participant minimum is not met, all registered parties will receive a full refund for the course. Those who can fulfill all summer duties will be reimbursed for the certification cost at the end of the summer.
For more information or to register for the Sooner Pool Lifeguards training, contact the Richard Kane YMCA at 918.336.0713 or at 101 N. Osage Ave.