Anyone wishing to file for a seat on the Bartlesville City Council may do so during the upcoming filing period set for Aug. 3-5. The filing period will open at 8 a.m. on Aug. 3 at the Washington County Election Board, located on the first floor of the Washington County Courthouse, 400 S. Johnstone Ave. The period will close at 5 p.m. on Aug. 5.
Successful candidates must:
- Be a resident of their ward for at least six months prior to the filing date
- Be at least 25 years of age
- Have no prior felony convictions
- Hold no other position in City government by appointment of the city manager
- Hold no other public office that would constitute a conflict of interest according to Oklahoma State Statutes
All five council seats are subject to election during the upcoming election cycle. Any ward drawing two or more candidates during the filing period will be decided by voters during the general election on Nov. 3.
- Members are elected by residents of their ward
- Terms are for two years
- The new term will begin on Dec. 7
- Seats are non-partisan
- The mayor and vice mayor are elected by the members of the council after members are sworn into office during the first meeting of the new term
For specific ward information, see www.cityofbartlesville.org. For more information about the City Council or the election process, see the Bartlesville City Charter. For more information about the election, contact the Washington County Election Board.