Neighborhood Services

Picture6The Neighborhood Services Division helps maintain and improve the quality of Bartlesville’s neighborhoods and commercial areas by operating programs that ensure public compliance with the City’s minimum property maintenance codes. These codes are adopted by the City Council to promote health and safety, protect the community from blight and deterioration, and enhance the livability of the city. Violations of these codes are often referred to as “public nuisances.” The most common violations include tall grass and weeds, accumulation of junk and trash, deteriorated fencing, walls, buildings, and structures, broken windows, parking on the grass, inoperable vehicles, improper storage of a recreational vehicle or trailer, and illegal signs.

Neighborhood Services staff responds to complaints of a possible violation, investigates the complaint and initiates fair and unbiased enforcement action to correct those violations. Staff proactively works to educate property owners and seeks to abate violations through a combination of education, resource and assistance referral, and voluntary compliance. More than 2,000 complaints are filed and investigated in a year. Of those, approximately 97 percent are abated through voluntary compliance.

Complaints Routinely Handled by Neighborhood Services:

  • Accumulations of trash, junk and debris on residential and commercial properties
  • Hazardous or dead trees on private property
  • Deteriorated fencing, buildings, garages, carports, sheds
  • Illegally parked or stored recreational vehicles or trailers
  • Inoperable vehicles
  • Vehicles parked on the grass or other unpaved surface
  • Illegal or unmaintained signs
  • Parking of commercial vehicles on residentially owned lots
  • Vacant or abandoned buildings

Complaints Handled by Other Departments:

  • Abandoned vehicles on the city street – Police
  • Cleanliness of restaurants – County Health Department
  • Barking or vicious dogs or other animal related matters – Police
  • Noisy neighbors, loud music or other disturbing the peace complaints – Police
  • Problems with public alleys, streets or curbs – Public Works
  • Non-working Street Light – AEP/PSO at 888-261-3523
  • Damaged street sign or non-working street signal – Public Works

For an interactive map of streets and other features of Bartlesville go to GIS City Maps.