Floodplain development requirements

Any development activity within the floodplain requires approval of a Flood Development permit issued by the City’s Engineering Department. This requirement is meant to protect your property and that of others by controlling alteration and development in flood prone areas.

A floodplain development permit will be required for activities such as building or enlarging a structure, placing a manufactured home, mining, dredging, filling, grading, drilling, excavating, landscaping, installing a fence, storing supplies and/or equipment, repairing roads or bridges, placing a fuel storage tank and placing a recreational vehicle.

In addition to the City’s floodplain development permit, any proposed work involving a structure must also have an elevation certificate submitted with the floodplain development permit.  The elevation certificate can be downloaded here.