In October 1898, the City of Bartlesville set out to establish a City Cemetery. On Feb. 24, 1899 a cemetery was laid out south of town. At first it was called the City Cemetery, later Union Cemetery and then about 1905 it became White Rose Cemetery.
On April 29, 1904, the Cherokee Nation deeded ten acres known as McCaleb’s Addition to the Incorporated town of Bartlesville, Indian Territory for land to be used for a cemetery. The cemetery now totals about twenty acres and holds over 12,000 graves.
The earliest recorded burial was of two-month-old Golda M. Hartman, who died February 17, 1893. The first recorded sale of a plot was that of George Johnson in September 1906.
In 1900 the first Memorial Day celebration to honor service men and women who are buried at White Rose was held. These services are still held each year on Memorial Day.
In March 1907 the Bartlesville Ladies Cemetery Association was organized to cooperate in the care and improvement of the cemetery. In October of 1999 the Bartlesville City Council appointed a White Rose Cemetery Board as an advisory board to the City in connection with preservation, beautification and enhancement of the grounds.
In 2003 White Rose held the first annual Luminary Service held during the month of November. The purpose of this service, held before the beginning of the holiday season, is to honor and remember loved ones. In 1900 the first Memorial Day celebration to honor service men and women who are buried at White Rose was held. These services are still held each year on Memorial Day.
The history of the cemetery roads is shown by the attached link.
In 1921, the Bartlesville city commissioners and C.E. Bryan, manager of the Bartlesville Mausoleum Company, reached an agreement to begin the construction of a mausoleum at White Rose Cemetery. Hugh Bryant, Bartlesville merchant, financier and pioneer business man was the founder and owner of the mausoleum.
The 15,000 square foot Mausoleum Building is in the Greek Neoclassic style, housing over 500 crypts. It is constructed of concrete with white stone exterior, the roof of vitrified tile and the entire interior made of white marble. The windows are made of ornamental leaded glass and the doors and the gates of bronze.
In 1954 the Mausoleum Association entered into a trust agreement with the City of Bartlesville, whereby the mausoleum was turned over to the city.
Mr. Bryant died in 1958 and was buried in the mausoleum with Masonic Rites.